Even though a lot of cash seems to go up in smoke through energy bills you can still learn how to save money on utilities. As always, anywhere you spend money you can save.
In fact energy is one of the areas where you are likely to see big savings. So much energy is wasted because of our modern living style, it is hard to believe. We heat huge spaces in the winter and try to cool down the same ones in summer. We even do this for rooms that we are not using which if you think about it, is quite extraordinary.
Here are some ideas to get you started on looking for the leaks in your utility bills.
1. Be sure to maintain your appliances to improve their efficiency. Heating systems tend to be the main culprits for losing energy unnecessarily. Also fridges can use a lot of electricity if they are not working properly and water heaters too, can be made more efficient. And the better you maintain an appliance the longer it will last.
2. Remember to clean your fridge’s coils and to service your boiler twice a year. Inefficiency in these large appliances leads to a tremendous unnecessary loss of energy. Even if you think your refrigerator is quite new you should check out how it’s performing. Like all electrical items they will start to deteriorate from the moment you start using them. Their peak performance is day one and it is all downhill from there.
3. Think about how you set your heating system. Set it just a few degrees lower and you will save 5% on your bills. Are you running it when there is nobody in the house? What are you doing with it at night? To be honest the kind of hot water systems we run in the West are pretty wasteful. But there is nothing much you can do about that. You just have to work with what you have got.
4. Watch how much you are spending on long distance calls. Make sure you make every effort to call at the weekend or in the evening when lower rates are on offer. In actual fact, you don’t really need to use long distance calling except for absolute emergencies. Instead you can make use of free Internet services and instant messaging.
5. Showering saves a lot more water than using a bath as we all know. But old shower heads are not efficient. Get a new water saving shower head and you will knock hundreds of dollars off your water bills over a year.